I've learned that if you remove your chair from your computer desk, your computer time will dramatically drop. We've relocated the chair to the garage due to "the beast" climbing on it every 3 seconds. You have to stand, sit on the floor or on your knees in order to use it so I've spent very little time on the computer but don't ask what I've done with that extra time - I don't know.
I've learned that people come to the Y to socialize, not to exercise. I went at night earlier this week for the first time and I'm amazed at the number of people standing around talking. Don't they have any thing better to do? Or don't they have family they need to get home to? People are also talking to each other while they are using the treadmills or bikes. So you can imagine this isn't at the level a normal conversation occurs at either. They are almost yelling (because all the machines are pretty loud). I have to confess this annoys me greatly, I do not want to hear anyone talking while I'm there. To top it all off, most of these people are having personal conversations that you shouldn't be having in public where just anyone can hear you. I'm just so glad I have my MP3 player.
Speaking of the Y, when I went on Monday evening, I ran for the first time. It did not go well. I walked for quite awhile and then I decided I would give running a try. Being able to run is the ultimate goal here but I've got to take this slow. When you can't remember the last time you ran, it's a pretty good indicator that it's NOT going to be easy. I was going to do conditioning, (run for 1 1/2 minutes, walk for 1 1/2 minutes, run for 1 1/2 minutes, and so on) I know this doesn't sound hard but it is when you're body is in the shape that mine is in. It was almost impossible. I felt like I was carrying someone on my back who weighed at least 100 pounds and my legs felt like they were cement bricks. It was all I could do to make it the minute and half mark. I only did a few cycles because flying off the end of the treadmill was looking like a real possibility. I came home in pain and could barely walk after I sat down for awhile. Needless to say, the night ended very early for me.
I've decided that Christmas is going to be very different for my family. It seems that in the previous few years we have been trying to cut back the amount of gifts we buy. This year is probably going to be the biggest cut we've ever done. I'm actually excited about it. It simplifies everything for me. I'm not spending a lot of time buying stuff that people don't need or even really want. I'm all for gift giving but I am a also guilty of ALWAYS going overboard. I bought way too much for all the kids last year and I'm really making an effort this year to keep it simple. The boys are getting about 1/4 of what they got last year. They don't need more toys. There is a couple of toys that they both really want and that's about it. I think if they get the couple that they've (and when I say they've, I mean the toy spokesman, Jackson) been talking about for months, they won't care about anything else. Plus it all boils down to the simple fact that I'm worried that we are giving them too much. I don't want my children to be so materialistic as they grow up and I feel that's the path I've been leading them down. I feel like we should give them less and then concentrate on all of us giving more to people who don't have anything. The Crisis Nursery in Champaign is having a few fundraisers for the holiday and we are going to participate in them one way or another. It's such a neat place and we try to donate things (new and used) to them all through out the year.
I'm also making a lot of gifts this year. All three sets of Grandparents are getting hand made gifts this year. I've already started and am about 50% done. I hope they like it!
Speaking of Christmas, I hear a lot of people saying they are getting back their budgets this year and we all know that it's due to the economy. Quite honestly, I think that's one of the positive things (if there is a bright side) of the whole financial crisis, it's really made people think about every thing they purchase and start living within their means. I think it's a good lesson for everyone, no matter who you are and whether you really can afford it or not. I find myself constantly telling Jackson, "Just because you want something, doesn't mean you should have it." We all need to learn to appreciate what we have a little more and not focus on what we don't have.
I'm off to scrapbook and make the most of naptime today.
Did I mention that I'm going to a crop Friday night and most of Saturday too??? I'm super excited. I am planning on getting a lot done! I better go start packing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment