Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What a day

Yesterday started off as a really good day. Jeffrey slept in which is very usual and then took a very long nap. It was just a really different morning than we usually have around here and it was very refreshing. He didn't take a nap till about 10:30 and a bit after 1 he still wasn't up, so I woke him up. It's not a good idea to wake Jeffrey up, but I had to and it actually was okay. He was happy for once. So we got in the car to go grocery shopping. It was probably the best car ride I've had with Jeffrey EVER. We get to Walmart (which is about 30-40 minutes from our house easily) and do a sprint through the store for the things we need. I was supposed to cook dinner for my in laws who are moving to/leaving for South Carolina for the winter on Wednesday. So I'm on I'm short on time as it is. The boys were so good in the store, Jackson even told me he had to go potty and held it in till we made it to the bathroom. So we check out and head to the car. We get to the car and I decide to start it before I buckle the kids in their seats and load the groceries in.
I put the key in the ignition and it dings for a bit and then stops and all the lights on the dash go out.
So I pull the key out and put it in again.
Same thing. Oh no...
I turn the key and the car clicks and then all the lights go out.
GREAT! The battery is dead.
Jackson is standing on the floor in the backseat saying "what's wrong Mommy?" I tell him the car is broke and it won't start. He immediately starts saying "I sorry Mommy" and when I didn't answer him. He reaches over the seat and pets my hair continually, saying "I sorry Mommy."
I must have been freaking out because he normally doesn't do things like that.
So I find my cell phone and it won't work. It's a prepaid one which is a major pain. I had minutes but it won't work because my time had run out. You have to keep adding time to it every 90 days in order to keep your service. Of course my service had run out within the last week and I didn't even notice. That's how much I even look at it!
So we go back in the store and try to use the pay phone which I finally figure out. I call Granny who in turns calls, Aunt Liz, who was on her way home from work. She was almost all the way home (she works in the same town we were in!) so she turned around and came back to get us.
So while we were waiting for her to get us, we went to the Electronics department to buy a card for our wonderful cell phone. Jackson says to the young cashier, "Our car broke. You help us?" She didn't hear him the first time so he said it again and again until she acknowledged him. She of course couldn't understand a word of it so she asked me what he said. I explained to her that our battery died in our car and we are trying to get our cell phone to work to call someone to pick us up. She was like "oh". Jackson didn't give up and kept asking her to help us. I felt like a bad mother. I guess he thought I wasn't trying hard enough to get out of there so he needed to solicit help for us. It was kinda funny but kind of sad. I think he was traumatized by the whole event.
Within about 15 minutes, Liz showed up to rescue us. We loaded everything and everyone in her zippy little car and off we went. Papa had found Jeremy, who was on his way home from work, and they were off to jump the car. They jumped it, got it back home, but the battery was completely dead. So Jeremy went and got another battery last night and got it running again.
It was quite an adventure. I'm just glad that he didn't happen when Jeremy & I were together or out of state.
Oh, and I never did get dinner cooked. We ate pizza instead!

No comments: