While driving home, a conversation I had with my Dad about 6 years ago came to mind. I had called Dad on my way home from work to tell him that Jeremy and I were getting married in a week or so on New Year's Eve. He was surprised especially since Jeremy and I weren't engaged. He said, "Well that's great news." I said, "will you come? After the ceremony, we are having a little party at our house for everyone." He responded, "No, I can't. I bought tickets with some friends to go to a party in the Quad Cities." I said "Okay that's fine. I understand since this is such short notice." When we hung up, I thought that was really odd that he wasn't going to come to our wedding, especially since the man had never told me NO once in my entire life. About 5 minutes passed, when my phone rang again and it was Dad. I answered my phone and he practically screamed into the phone, "Did you just tell me you're getting married????" I said "Yes, we're getting married!" He laughed hysterically and said, "OHHHHH! I'm sorry I didn't understand what you were saying. It just hit me after we hung up that you said you were getting married. Of course I'll be there. What can I bring???"
Remembering this story made me laugh a little because this was my Dad. Dropping whatever he was doing, no matter how important it was, and running to be with his family or to help a friend.
He was always there no matter what and now he's gone...
3 comments:
I don't think you've ever told me that story. How funny! And so like him!
Oh yeah, and I still wish I would have come to that .... sorry what was I thinking? Must have been delirious!
I love that memory. You will always have happy memories of such a wonderful Dad. I hope that someday my kids will remember that I was always there for them. They won't remember that I never once told them no though.
Post a Comment