Well I got a book from the library about Once a Month Cooking (OAMC) and thought I would give it a try. I only did 2 weeks worth of meals just to try it out and see how we liked eating frozen food. I'm a little skeptical about it and don't want to waste a bunch of food/money if we don't like eating stuff from the freezer. I went grocery shopping Sunday afternoon while my MIL and SIL watched boy of the boys. I bought everything under the sun. I just decided to make everything that was on the 2 week calendar because it was going to be too confusing to take out any recipe since the shopping lists are made exactly for those certain recipes. I bought things I had never bought before. It was an interesting experience. Actually it was kind of a nice change because I ALWAYS buy the same stuff every week and we eat the same things over and over. So for the next two weeks we are eating all new recipes! It's going to be interesting. I started working Sunday evening on doing some of the prep work and didn't end up going to bed till 1 am. Then I got up early Monday morning and started cooking. I cooked till about noon and then stopped until after the boys went to bed that night. Then I put in another 2 hours and got it all done! Needless to say I was exhausted when I got done. But it was a good feeling knowing I have all that food in the freezer. So tonight was the first night eating one of the meals! We had chicken packets and they were great!!! We both thought they were good. I had to do about 10 minutes of work to get it all together (after the filling thawed in the fridge all day) and then pop them in the oven and it was done! I made some frozen corn and got out the fruit and cottage cheese. Hope they all go this easy.
Jeremy thinks it's the stupidest thing. He doesn't understand it. But he also doesn't spend all day long (and I mean ALL DAY-- he goes to work at 6 am before the kids are up and doesn't get home till 7 pm!) alone with a toddler and a newborn and then at the worst time of the day when the children (and sometimes myself included) are literally coming undone, you have to stop everything and cook dinner for a good hour or so. Sometimes (okay a lot of times) I don't even try. The baby won't stop crying long enough to get a thing done and I have a 2 year old under foot who wants constant attention. Hopefully this may be a little more helpful for me. I don't understand why he wouldn't appreciate this when he's the one eating it and he didn't have to cook it! Hopefully he'll change his mind!!!!
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment