Friday, January 18, 2008

Where was I?

So anyway the show is called Amazing Families on Discovery Health channel. A couple had a 15 month old son when she gave birth to twin boys. That alone would be overwhelming enough in my book. But by the time the babies were crawling, they noticed that the older son wasn't developmentally progressing like he should have been. The mom, Sophie, said he was almost continually regressing. He was 2 when he was diagnosed with autism. Then I think the twin boys were a bit younger than 2 when diagnosed. The parents started noticing the signs sooner than they did with the oldest. They showed home videos that were horrific and heartbreaking. I can't imagine raising one child who is autistic yet alone 3 who are all so close in age. They found a autistic school for them to go to that was pretty close to their house. The videos from the school were shocking. I had no idea how intense therapy/teaching is for autistic children. So anyway, the point of me posting all this is that it really woke me up to how lucky I am and how easy my life basically is. I've been feeling overwhelmed lately by just about everything. Even though I do love it and wouldn't trade it, it's hard being a SAHM. My husband leaves for work before the kids get up in the morning and comes home about an hour before they go to bed. So basically I'm it all day. I guess what also makes it harder is that I have a 9 month old baby who can be difficult. Jeffrey's not the best napper and even though he is crawling everywhere, he's still crabby. His witching hour(s) is from 5 pm-7 pm. That is the most unbearable time of day for me. I've tried it all and nothing helps. I'm hoping he's going to grow out of this soon. He is getting better but it's a very slow gradual process. Anyway, I was just thinking how hard this woman's life must be. I mean you can just see it in her face. I started feeling really thankful for the healthy children that I have and all the good things I have in my life. Yes things could be better or easier but they could also be a lot worse and harder. So I went to sleep feeling silly for getting so worked up about the things that happened during the day. I remember one of my last thoughts was that I just need to accept things the way they are and let it go. I think that's my biggest problem is that I want things my way and when they don't go my way (for example taking a 45 min nap when I want him to take a 2 hour nap) I feel stressed. So I'm really going to focus on going with the flow. Did I also mention that my word for the year is "FOCUS"?


So that's something I'm really going to think about....

My life is good.
I have a great marriage.
Yes, it needs work (whose doesn't?) and we drive each other to the brink of insanity on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. But we love each other, want to be here and raise our kids together.
My kids are healthy and relatively happy.
No, my almost 3 year old is not potty trained and can be a beast. My baby is a handfull a better part of the day. But they are so sweet and just want to be loved, held and played with.
No we're not rich.
We don't have the best or the newest vehicles, we have lived in the Brady Bunch house for the last 5 years (it's s l o w l y being remodeled), none of us wear name brand or designer clothes or shoes but we can pay our bills and put food on the table.
Quite honestly, I truly feel that's something to be proud of.

No comments: